Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fun With Gwampa Spwague and Canoeing

This week we had Scott's dad come and stay with us. We hadn't seen him since last Christmas, so it was nice to get to hang out with him for a few days. We mostly just watched the Olympics while he was here (Hooray for the hottie, Michael Phelps, and all of the other gold medalists). We also went out to eat a few times and went to the mall where Grandpa bought Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck stuffed animals for Hannah. Since she loves them so much, I've decided that that is the theme that we will be doing for her birthday party this year.

Before we dropped off Scott's dad at the airport yesterday we were able to make it to the zoo. Here are a few pictures from that adventure.

We went to this bird show at the zoo that was pretty amazing. They had a bunch of different kinds of birds and some of them flew inches away from people's heads. I didn't realize that most birds could be trained. I actually wonder why some of them don't just fly away while they've got the chance.

Above is the bald eagle, our national bird, with some doves flying around it.

Of course, we had to go on the merry-go-round, which is a new attraction at the zoo. Hannah went on it 4 times.
Thanks to Grandpa Sprague for visiting with us. I know Hannah misses you and so do we.

This morning we had a ward activity that involved a pond, lunch, and canoeing. Let me tell you a little story about this pond. It should only take around 20 minutes to get there, but unfortunately the directions that we had were bogus. About an hour into driving and after Scott and I found ourselves off-roading onto what was probably private property with Hannah wining/crying in the back seat, I almost lost it. There comes a point where my puny little brain can not handle a lot of stress, and that's when I feel like I am about to snap. We were lost, and it would not have been so bad if Hannah weren't crying in my ear and wanting to get out of her carseat, but the combination of the two is really stressful for me. Finally, I called a member of our ward and he was kind enough to tell us how to get there. We made it an hour late to the activity, all 3 of us in a bad mood, but I am so glad that we didn't give up, as much as we wanted to. We were able to have lunch there and go canoeing in this beautiful pond. We couldn't stay very long because Scott had to go to work, plus we were already an hour late to the activity, but it was fun! Here are a few pictures:

I'd like to give a shout out to the Johnstons, who took these awesome pictures;)

Someday, I hope that I will learn how to deal with stessful situations without getting in a bad mood because it's really not worth it. Luckily, our bad moods quickly went away.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That little Hannah is surely loved by all of her grandparents! She is so cute and makes us as grandparents feel special in her life she runs to us happily with her arms open. We sure miss having you guys around. I love the photo of the eagle, flag and doves. How symbolic is that? I am using it for my lesson tomorrow. It is on symbolism. The pond looks great. Take us there sometime. Love ya Mom

Anonymous said...

I had a great time last week and thanks so much for letting me visit! Maran, who does not have a mean-spirited or selfish bone in her body, is always considerate of my comfort while at the same time trying to keep up with an almost two year old. Scott is a responsible, hard working guy and does a great job taking care of his family. I thank the Lord on a regular basis that Maran and Scott found each other. Anyway, I hope that my geezer-ness gave them a few laughs. I found out what a sling box and sly talk is. Tell Hannah that I'm taking her picture to work tomorrow to put on my desk. I'll miss our walks together each morning.
~Randy S.

Jon, Teresa and Madison said...

It looks like Hannah had a fun time with her Gwampa and the carousel at the zoo. She is a cutie! Tell her we said hello and we hope to see you all soon.

Marc and Stacy said...

What a fun time with Scott's dad! Hannah is lucky to have so many grandparents that love her!

And Maran, who wouldn't be frustrated in a situation like that. You are just awesome that you put it aside and had a good time anyway. Most people, or I guess at least me, would probably let that put me in a bad mood for the rest of the day!

That looks like a lot of fun. What a cool activity!

Anonymous said...

How nice that Hannah is surrounded by such loving grandparents! It sounds like it was a fun weekend.

I can totally relate to the frustration you were talking about. We went to Newport beach on the most crowded day of the year (it seems)- It took us an hour and a half to find parking- by the time we parked I was totally frustrated. Thank goodness the crabbiness didn't last once we got to the beach. Getting lost+ being late+ whiny child= crabby me. It's definitely something I need to work on :)